We’re always looking for the best solutions for our clients, and when it comes to user-friendly websites which still offer a high level of personalisation, WordPress is a great option. Cost effective while still allowing complex functionality and some beautiful designs, it offers a perfect balance.
We use WordPress because it provides all basic functionality ‘off-the-shelf’ with a very intuitive administration interface.
WordPress development costs are typically lower than other solutions thanks to the multitude of plugins and themes that can provide the bulk, if not all, of any functionality you need, up to a certain level – at which point, it is entirely customisable (both for the frontend design and functionality, and the backend system).
Splitting style from content:
- At its heart, WordPress is a mysql database, using php to deliver the front end.
- Your site content is stored in the database.
- Your site design is stored in design templates (known as a theme).
- When someone visits the site, wordpress retrieves the content and ‘skins’ it using the selected theme.
- The beauty of this, is that you can completely change the look of your site without needing to edit each individual page.
In order to reduce development time, we often start with an off-the-shelf wordpress theme and plugins that will get you 80% of the way to perfection, with the remaining 20% developed specifically for you, to ensure you have the site that exactly meets your requirements.
(We can also develop themes from scratch, but this tends to have a longer production time.)
In terms of content revision, you can let us set everything up, or – and this is our preference – we set up some initial content, and then set you free to add, edit and revise everything yourself, so you are in complete control and able to update at the click of a mouse.
In terms of theme development, we budget an initial development time*, after which we allow up to two weeks for feedback (ideally we like to receive this all in one go). Then we budget a smaller revision time to implement your requirements. Once we have final sign-off, we migrate the site from a development server to live.
Once the site is live, we can bill hourly for site maintenance, or we can quote for more extensive revisions.
In an ideal scenario, you will have a wealth of imagery and text content for us to plunder and use to make your site fabulous. In a more realistic situation, we include development time to source images for your site – or, in certain circumstances, we suggest you employ a professional photographer to ensure you get the kind of high calibre art work that makes the difference between a good site, and a brilliant one. We can also include copywriting time, to ensure you have optimised content that will deliver the information you need to site visitors – and also drive up search traffic thanks to search-engine friendly wording.