A Word About WordPress
Delivering websites for our clients is a big part of what we do, so it’s important to be able to offer a flexible, affordable service that can work for everyone. That’s why we tend to use WordPress for most of the websites we design – it’s a great balance of user-friendly interface and enormously versatile design.
WordPress development costs are typically lower than other solutions thanks to the volume and variety of plugins and themes that come ready-made to perform most functions that clients need. Some require more tailoring and another advantage of WordPress is that it is entirely customisable, both for the frontend design which browsers will see and the backend system, the “behind the scenes” stuff where you make it do what you want it to.
From a technical perspective it offers a number of other advantages:
- At its heart, WordPress is a mysql database, using php to deliver the front end
- Your site content is stored in the database
- Your site design is stored in design templates (known as a theme)
- When someone visits the site, WordPress retrieves the content and ‘skins’ it using the selected theme
- You can completely change the look of your site without needing to edit each individual page
In short, WordPress is SEO friendly, responsive (i.e. it’s mobile friendly, which is very important with the growing percentage of mobile users accessing web pages), easily allows integration of social media, it’s retina-friendly (i.e. sharper images), is compatible with Google Analytics for in-depth performance evaluation, is secure and enables easy add-ons like video and image upload. As we said – it’s user-friendly, and intuitively so.
Being able to start off with an off-the-shelf WordPress theme not only saves time and money, it often helps clients to envisage their site in advance, to have a greater say in its appearance and feel. That off-the-shelf solution will get you 80% of the way there, and the remaining 20% is tailored specifically to you and your business, whatever it needs. That doesn’t mean you end up with a website that looks like everyone else’s – it will look exactly as you want it to. It just won’t add an extra zero to the price. (Of course we can deliver sites designed entirely from scratch but they do take longer and have a higher price tag.)
We tend to set a site up with some initial content so you can approve it at each step. Thereafter you are free to add, edit and revise everything yourself, giving you total control. Its simple layout means you don’t need to be a computer programmer to work it out; and we are always on hand to help out if you’re unsure!
While it would be great to think everyone already has brilliant imagery and copy for their sites, we know that isn’t always the case. We can help with sourcing images, setting up photography or video shoots, providing expertly written content that will help boost search results and anything else you need (or can just advise on what that might be, if you prefer to do things yourself). WordPress is set up to help people find your site, and the way it is tagged, labelled and laid out will also be a help.
We always try to help our clients to work as hassle-free as possible, and WordPress is a great tool to help in that aim. If you’re thinking about changing your website, setting a new one up or simply want some advice on how to optimise what you already have, give us a call. It’s easier than you might think.