Continuing on the website theme today, we would like to tell you a little bit about Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and what you can do to make your website rank higher in browser search. There are dozens of techniques that can be used in SEO, but today we will focus on what works best and is relatively easy to implement.
Let’s start by saying that SEO, as we know it, is dead. This may sound like we are trying to teach you to suck eggs, but you would be surprised to see how many people still try to cheat Google algorithm and think that they know better. Well, they don’t! You can try to cheat Google, but as soon as they find out, they will ban your website forever and your website will never come up in their search engine again.
Google’s main objective is to provide the best Internet browsing experience. Nobody wants to spend hours on filtering through informational clutter. We want the best content and we want it now. This leads us to the first and most important tip for sound SEO strategy: build websites with frequently uploaded, relevant and valuable content. Google knows how to find websites with the best content and they will choose those websites to appear in their search engine results.
The term ‘Content Marketing’ surely rings a bell here. It’s a valid term, which became more relevant since the proliferation of the Internet, but it’s also something that marketing experts have been doing for a very long time. It is currently the single, most powerful tactic in SEO. Examples of Content Marketing techniques include: blogs, case studies, white papers, how-to videos or user guides.
Other techniques for improving your website’s SEO include:
- Back links (or inbound links) – Google thinks that if other websites are linking to your content, your content must be relevant and trusted.
- Outbound linking – don’t be afraid to tell your readers when you use content or information from other websites. Do this by hyperlinking keywords from your article to authority sites like industry bodies, business specialists or knowledge leaders.
- Use social media – find out where your target audience are and use social media to spread the word about your latest blog post or video.
- Have your website mobile optimized – Google likes websites that can be accessed and viewed on mobile devices, i.e. smartphones or tablets.
- Set up a Google+ account and link it to your website – this also gives you another platform to promote your website and content.
- Use ‘share’ buttons and feeds on your website – making content sharable will enable your visitors to spread the word.
One of these pointers on their own won’t have much impact. You need to combine a number of tactics and be consistent with generating new content to stay on top of the search results. SEO takes time so don’t worry if can’t do it all today. Plan your strategy and start by taking small steps.
As a starting point, we recommend creating a Marketing Schedule which will allow you to plan, month by month, the content you will upload and where you will share it. This not only serves as a reminder but also means you are uploading the right kind of content at the right time and means you can budget accordingly, depending on what marketing you have coming up.
We’re here to create a marketing schedule with you if you need help getting started on this, over a cup of tea of course – give us a call on 01638 741830 and let’s start getting your website noticed.